- The Petition
- 1,927 Comments
HELP US STOP TRAFFIC FILTERS AND LTNS THAT WILL:
- CAUSE MASS GRIDLOCK, INCREASE JOURNEY TIMES AND CREATE MORE POLLUTION!
- CUT OFF COMMUNITIES FROM ESSENTIAL SERVICES
- DELAY EMERGENCY SERVICES
- WRECK LOCAL BUSINESSES AND JOBS
WE ALL HAVE RIGHTS TO FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT AND TO CHOOSE HOW WE TRAVEL.
Please sign our petition to tell Oxfordshire County Council: NO to traffic filters & LTNs that will gridlock & divide our City of Oxford.
Oxfordshire County Council is dividing our communities by installing traffic filters, LTNs (low traffic neighbourhoods) and increasing surveillance with CCTV cameras in an undemocratic and discriminatory manner. The people have not voted for this. We are all for cleaner air and a better environment, but not at the expense of destroying people’s lives and livelihoods.
You will be forced to use the already heavily congested ring road unless you have a pass. Each house hold in Oxford will be eligible for 100 day passes per vehicle per year and if you live outside of Oxford you will only be eligible for 25 passes. So, 100 day passes equals 2 days a week only!
Without a pass you will face a fine! The council currently states on their website:
“Any vehicle that goes through the traffic filter and is not exempt, will be charged a penalty of £70.”
For more detailed information on how this will impact your day-to day life go to: https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/residents/roads-and-transport/connecting-oxfordshire/traffic-filters
- These unworkable plans are essentially road closures. Along with LTNs, they will cut off, divide & segregate our city. It will force residents who have used up their year’s 100 day passes to make long diversions in & out of the already heavily congested A34/A40 bypass & ring road to travel between the segregated ‘zones’ - meaning more congestion, pollution & misery.
- Car drivers in all suburbs across the city will have limited access to other parts of Oxford, while city centre drivers may find it hard to leave their homes. Residents in Summertown, Marston, Headington, Botley and Cowley are likely to suffer from new congestion, caused by displaced traffic, as drivers seek to avoid the traffic filter.
- This scheme will be critically damaging to businesses & jobs. Out of-town-workers, customers and tourists may not be allowed to drive through the barriers - making the whole city unattractive. Why bother to visit, shop or work in a city that does not welcome drivers?
And there are more restrictions still to come:
- As well as the current disruptive LTNs (low-traffic neighbourhoods) in Cowley, Iffley and Littlemore, more are planned, as well as the removal of residents’ parking.
- A Workplace Parking Levy (WPL) is planned for 2025. If employers have 11 or more staff parking spaces they will incur a new tax of £600 per year, per space. This will likely hit hospitals, schools and businesses within the ring road.
- Expand the city’s zero emissions zone (ZEZs), similar to the London Congestion Charge which will be up to £10 per day initially and £20 per day from 2025.
- These schemes are also being rolled out undemocratically in London, Bath, Cambridge and Canterbury and may be coming to a city or town near you soon! Google “15 minute city” and you will find them being planned globally.